Monday, April 1, 2013

Pascua en Mérida


Last Sunday I had the wonderful joy of spending Easter, or Pascua as it is called in Spanish, with my family in Mérida. We were lucky enough to experience the tradition and culture that is shared in the White City every Sunday. We started our day with a bike ride down the beautiful Paseo de Montejo. Every Sunday in Mérida, Paseo de Montejo is closed down from 8am-12pm to allow families to enjoy the historic street by cruising on bikes, running, or even roller blading. 







Once we completed the route, we returned our bikes and headed to the Centro Historico. One of my favorite parts of Mérida is the main square, Plaza Grande, where the Catholic Cathedral is located. On Sundays, they close down the streets by the square and have an open-air market where vendors sell handmade, traditional goods including hammocks, clothing, and toys. 



On one side of the square is an art museum in the old governor's palace. We discovered this gem when we visited Mérida with Billy's parents, Mrs. Gail and Mr. Steve. The building is filled with breathtaking political murals. From the outside, you can catch a cool view of the Cathedral through the museum's arches. 















Finally, to close out our Sunday in the square, we found our place to watch the traditional Yucatecan dance that takes place at 1pm on the side of the square. The dancers wear traditional garb and dance to familiar songs as a way to honor their culture. 













As you can see, Billy and I had a very memorable Easter with my parents. I wanted to do these activities the last few times that I visited Mérida. I'm glad that I could finally cross them off of my bucket list with people who are special to me. It was definitely a day that I'll never forget!

1 comment:

  1. As always you captured our moments together with eloquent recall. Pictures of the dancers are phenomenal. I'm so glad we got to see them and ride bikes. Definitely two things off my to do list. Love ya
    Mom

    ReplyDelete